Moving Rosemary

momovtwo(8 Central TX)March 31, 2012

Hi All!

I have a declining raised bed (4 yr pallet wood) and I think this will be the last season the box survives. The only thing in the bed that is perennial is my beautiful 3' Rosemary. I'd like to give it a permanent home in the ground, but I'm not sure when the best time to do this might be. It needs a haircut, but I don't want to cut it back if I should be transplanting it. Advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd want to move it in the fall or winter, rather than right before the advent of the heat of summer. As a rule, plants should never be cut back prior to transplanting....they need each and every leaf (the energy factories of a plant) to help produce more new roots after they are replanted.

It used to a common practice to prune the top to compensate for root loss, but we are a lot smarter now. We know that that is the worst thing we can do.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:25PM
momovtwo(8 Central TX)

Thank you! I'll wait until fall to move it and harvest about 1/3 (and make a few new starts while I'm at it) now :)

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 2:13PM
wally_1936(8b)

In the mean time you could take cuttings to start more plants. Then if it should die from being moved you will have more to replace the plant.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 11:02PM
jolj(7b/8a)

rhizo 1 is right, but the cut back rule was so the top would not die back. The best way to prevent that is to move in the winter & keep the plant top & soil damp for a week or two.
I worked with a plant man who had to move plant in the S.C. summer & the water treatment saved ALL the plant we moved.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 2:10AM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

IMHO, rosemary is hard to move, successfully. I don't think I ever have, actually. Especially when they get big! good luck to you though, and like the others said, wait a bit! :)
'

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:48PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

We moved a large rosemary bush in early February, when it was in full bloom. We drug it across the yard on a tarp and replanted it in our alkaline soil, then watered daily for the first couple of months. Though I had heard that rosemary could not be divided, a chunk of the rootball broke off and we planted it, too. They are both thriving.

Jan

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:06AM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

We moved a large rosemary bush in early February, when it was in full bloom. We drug it across the yard on a tarp and replanted it in our alkaline soil, then watered daily for the first couple of months. Though I had heard that rosemary could not be divided, a chunk of the rootball broke off and we planted it, too. They are both thriving.

Jan

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™