Canning Beef Stew

missemerald(7 (Virginia))March 30, 2012

I have a question-- I am going to get a pressure canner this year (most likely a Presto with the extra weights, thank you for all the info about that, BTW), and my plan is to can stuff from the garden that I can't water bath. But, I am also planning to can some soups and stews for those quick meals that I can just put on the table in a hurry.

As a rule I use the Ball Complete Book for recipes.

Now searching on the internet, I saw a recipe for beef stew that basically involved cutting the veggies up, layering it in the jars with raw chunked beef, pouring boiling liquid over all, and then pressure canning it (don't recall how long). Although this seems easier it just seems... wrong. The Ball book does not do it this way. Am I just paranoid here or is this really easier? I have doubts but since I've never tried this I wanted additional opinions. Don't want to waste time canning a bunch of stuff to make my family sick!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

It is wrong... if a method says hot pack, then that is the only way it is safe. Stew is to be hot packed, not raw pack. It takes much of the processing time to just get the food hot that it cuts down on the amount of time it is heating to kill bacteria. It is considered underprocessed if you do a raw pack when it says hot pack.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 1:47PM
missemerald(7 (Virginia))

Thanks, LindaLou. I knew it sounded wrong... but I wanted to verify. Maybe the creator of the recipe I saw has been lucky so far?

Marcy

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:31PM
amayura

I've learned from America's Test Kitchen that beef stew is more flavorful if you sear the meat before adding it to the stock. Seared meat adds a dimention of flavor that distinguishes ok beef stew from wow beef stew. Raw meat just doesn't cut it.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 7:53PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Maybe the creator of the recipe I saw has been lucky so far?

Yes, there are a lot of those "may the luck be with you" recipes out there on the web. Some people will try to can anything and then claim that just because it is pressure canned it is safe. Doesn't work that way.

Dave

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Current Botulism cases
The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that...
Linda_Lou
Sponsored Products
Kichler Brinley 12" Wide Olde Bronze 6-Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Lime Five-Piece Canning Set
$11.99 | zulily
Duo 9-piece Pressure Canning Set
Overstock.com
Bayou Classic Stainless Steel High Pressure Cooker
Overstock.com
Canning Ladle
$8.99 | zulily
Le Parfait French 1.5-liter Glass Canning Jars (Pack of 3)
Overstock.com
Kleins Sealed Cookie Jar
Classic Hostess
Kleins Large Hexagonal Mason Jar
Classic Hostess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™