In need of more cilantro guidance

NinjaTarzanMarch 27, 2013

Here's my poor cilantro sprouts. They were doing fine until a couple of days ago. I have them in this seed starter which I keep inside at night, and outside in sunlight for most of the day. We had a cold spell of a few days, and I'm wondering if that's not my culprit.

However, I am a newbie to this, and so far have been found to have a brown thumb. :(

Help please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

They look completely dried out. Have you been watering them thoroughly? They are in peat pots which absorb a lot of moisture.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:33PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Way too dry. I personally hate peat pots. Been given lots of them over the years and hated using them each time.

If started and kept outside the entire time, the odd cold period (so long as it isn't something like single digits F) shouldn't effect cilantro. It is pretty cold tolerant.

Since cilantro **HATES** to be transplanted, direct sow into your garden beds or get a larger pot that the seedlings can grow into and stay in for the duration.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:11AM
NinjaTarzan

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was worried I had been giving them too much water, but apparently not! I'll try keeping them wetter.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 12:01PM
wally_1936(8b)

You need to post your zone as members can be of more help. Why are you starting them inside this time of the year? Or are you putting them outside?

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 10:26AM
CarloMartin947

You could check out the nice write-up on cilantro at the website below. Click on "Techniques", then on "Cilantro." Generally speaking, I would wait until the plants can germinate outside, then sow directly into the garden. They germinate over a period of three to four weeks, so keep them moist the whole time. Usually two seedlings grow from each seed, like beets, so you should thin to the strongest one as they begin to compete with each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:15PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I always direct sow them in the ground.
If you wanted to grow them in a pot, just sow them right there. I would also sow maybe double the number. You can just thin them later. It is ok if they grow in clumps too.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™