strawberries turned white?

aztraea(9)March 17, 2013

Hi! I was making a couple of low sugar jams for a class I'm teaching, one used Pomona's and one was Sure-Jell low sugar. I've used low sugar pectins before with darker jams and never had this happen. I've also made probably 500 jars of strawberry jam (full sugar) and never seen this. So I don't know if it is the pectin or the berries, but the strawberries look like they have turned white. I'm in Florida and it is peak season now - we picked the berries the day before I made the jam. Any thoughts? I'm not concerned with the fruit float, just the color. This picture was taken about 5 minutes after they came out of the canner. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

This is just a guess, but some strawberry varieties are more prone to loss of color (Tioga, for example) due to a lower level of ascorbic acid.

Add to that a low-sugar preserve and the loss of some of the "fixative" qualities of the sugar and you get leaching of color from the berries.

It's a natural process, not aesthetically pleasing, but sometimes inevitable.

Carol

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztraea(9)

Fascinating, Carol, thanks! I knew about the low sugar / color relationship, but I've only see jars turn darker and never immediately out of the canner like these are.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™