Roselle/Jamaica bloom issue

jardinerowaJanuary 13, 2014

Hello all!

Last year I started some Jamaica/Roselle from seed. They took forever to get started but got buds in the summer and then started to bloom like in Nov/Dec. The issue is that only one of the flowers seemed to open. The rest just dried/died out. You could the compace yellow/pink petals and instead of opening up, they would just darken and die off. I can't figure it out.
I'm gonna start more this year as I like them but I know they didn't bloom right.

Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gutzmek(6)

Z,
Two items.
1. Environment
2. Feeding

For me, when a plant is struggling to open blooms, it is environmental. Too hot, too much sun, lack of consistent watering. As each variety is different, like people, finding a happy balance can be difficult. Example is that all of my plants are indoors for the winter with a lower light, cool temps, and dry humidity. Some are blooming greatly, where others drop flowers before they open. I watch each of them and address their needs. Remember, all those leaves, and especially the blooms need fluids.

Next is feeding. Each variety and their situation needs to be monitored for nutrients. I have some that really enjoy a nutrient rich soil and I fertilize regularly. Others do not, and I watch for build ups of certain elements.

The goal is to find a happy balance for the plants.

hope this helps.

Ed

This post was edited by Gutzmek on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 19:30

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Help with an OLD hibiscus tree
This tree was planted long before we bought the house....
Crenda SWFL 10A
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™