Canning Element

bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)March 8, 2012

I know from reading previous posts on this forum that I need to purchase 2 canning elements for my stove. (MIL got me a new Presto canner for Christmas, so now I can run two at once!) However, I have limited funds to purchase the canning elements. Ebay has several ranging from $35 to $45 (including shipping). However, I have seen them elsewhere on the internet for upwards of $80 or $100.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

What is your question?

Carol

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 1:39PM
bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)

Is there any reason I should stay away from the cheaper ones or go for the more expensive ones? Or is a canning element a canning element and disregard price?

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 1:56PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I think you'll find some of the more expensive elements have heavier-duty struts to support the canner. This can be an issue if you're using a large canner fully loaded with perhaps two layers of pints. Or say a large fully loaded All-American. That's a lot of weight and you don't want the supports bending or giving way.

The main issue, of course, is whether an element is compatible with your brand of stove.

Personally, my first consideration would be return policy so if you discover the element isn't compatible or is flimsy, you can send it back.

Carol

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 2:23PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Price isn't the primary factor. Whether or not it will work on your particular range is. Most stove brands have a canning element made specifically for them so you begin with stove brand name. Since part of the price is the brand name TM, you'll likely pay a bit more for them and the attached warranty, ability to return if it doesn't work, etc. rather than some generic model that may or may not work on your stove.

Beyond that the only real consideration is correct size and how well built, as in type of element supports it uses.

Dave

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 2:26PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hmmm - Carol types faster. :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 4:17PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Check here for appropriate canning elements for your stove, call them if not sure if will fit your model. I've ordered plenty of appliance parts from them over the years, including my canning element - quite happy with their service and prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair Clinic Example canning element

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™