Newbies and Oldies on Monday

maximus7116(MI)July 9, 2012

A mixed bag of daylilies today -- please pardon all the brown foliage in the photos.

LANA ISHEE is an outstanding orange (and a gift from a fellow GW member -- thank you!)

JOIE DE VIVRE

MARK ALAN CARPENTER has wonderful fragrance and huge blooms, although we'll have to wait to see about performance here:

CHINESE CHARIOT is usually one of the last to bloom:

RIBBIT RIBBIT, a new one from Judy Davisson:

BETTER THAN EVER is still going strong:

My apricot NOID -- any guesses? Scapes are about 30" with 3" blooms:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

No guesses but your apricote NO ID is really pretty. In fact all the blooms you posted are truely really pretty. CHINESE CHARIOT really appeals to me, a real standout and my favorite today. I also really, really like JOIE DE VIVRE. I like the soft look of the colors on it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 7:18PM
shive(6b TN)

The apricot NOID clump is very pretty. Ribbit Ribbit is a lovely lavender, and I like Chinese Chariot too.

Debra

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:13PM
avedon_gw

Really like Chinese Chariot, Joie De Vivre, and the NOID clump, very pretty. Avedon

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:19PM
organic_kitten(8)

As always, Chris, your photos and blooms are lovely. I like your NOID and Better Than Ever. I like the new Davisson, Ribbit Ribbit, but the Lana Ischee is my favorite...just love the brights and the oranges.
kay

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:27PM
Julia NY(6)

No guesses here either. I have RIBBIT RIBBIT from Judy too.
I like the JOIE DE VIVRE. Something about it looks so soft and feminine.

Julia

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:28PM
Waitforspring(6 MA)

I like Ribbit Ribbit Is that a very subtle chevron in the eye? Neat looking. Your NOID apricot is really pretty too and I like the bright colors on Lana Ishee.
Val

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:35PM
mantis__oh

I like the big yellow throat on Chinese Chariot. Surely, though, you aren't even at peak yet, are you? Joie de Vivre is nice, but for me, it is a leaner, and the weak scapes limit its value.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

very pretty blooms today. I like them all, but my favorite one is CHINESE CHARIOT. that one really stands out.''

jean

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51PM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks, everyone.

Chinese Chariot is a much brighter red than my camera picks up and my only complaint is that is such a low-growing plant.

For those who like Ribbit Ribbit, you should check out Judy's photo of it. It's a more vibrant lavender than mine. I think the heat has sucked much of the color out of my daylilies.

Mantis, I think I am at peak or past peak because of this crazy weather. I have whole beds that didn't bloom because of the lack of rainfall (and I don't water my daylilies, as you can see from the foliage). Joie de Vivre doesn't lean here, probably because it's also a low-grower.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:37PM
jkayd_il5

Chris, could your apricot noid be Peach Fairy. I have? or did have one that looks a lot like yours. I think there is still some of it in my back garden. I like the big blooms so small ones are overlooked in my gardens.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:34AM
maximus7116(MI)

I never buy small blooms, so I'm sure this was sent under a different name. This one is such a good performer that it gets to stay.

I haven't seen you post any pics this year. Have any you care to share?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:19AM
Julia NY(6)

Chris: What about STEALTH BOMBER? Has yours bloomed yet and your opinion on it this year?
Thanks
Julia

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:05AM
jkayd_il5

I remember Peach Fairy being a good performer too. The drought has really hurt my daylilies this year. I had some nice blooms early but now I'm getting bud drop and small blooms. A few are trying to please me, daylilies are hard to stop. We had two inches of rain on June 16th which probably saved the year for me but hot, hot since then, over a 100 some days. It's cooler this week but the weatherman says the heat is coming back. I am going to cull out a few here and there and only keep my favorites. About 150 or more. LOL

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:27AM
nat4b(4)

Lovely flowers! I like Joie de Vivre with its nice soft look, and yellow Mark Alan Carpenter, and Chinese Chariot, and Better than Ever!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:05PM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks again!

Julia, I had a few blooms from Stealth Bomber that weren't very impressive. I'll try to post a pic. I really need to move it, because it's under a tree and isn't getting enough water, I think.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:44PM
Polymerous(9b)

Your NOID reminds me a little of FULL MOON MAGIC, which is a good performer here. It is registered as a 3.5" flower on a 26" scape; the bloom seems to have a narrow wire gold (or is that gilt?) edge. It is tetraploid, midseason, and evergreen.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:09AM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe mine is a dormant with a smaller flower -- I'll check it out anyway.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
How do I delete photo before it is posted?
If you upload a photo from your computer to a post...
Julia NY
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™