trade

MissGardnerDecember 14, 2003

Anyone interested in doing a interIsland trade forum?

thanksBudW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keaau

SURE

Bookmark   January 7, 2004 at 12:56AM
jscu

Me too!

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 4:11AM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

Yes I am interested. I go between Oahu and the Big Island about every two months and am propagating and attempting to propagate native species. I am mostly interested in dry forest trees and shrubs and solt tolerant trees.

John

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 10:23AM
littleme(11)

I am interested in an inter-island forum for trading, too. Does anyone know of the USDA rules for transporting plants inter-isle? I think we have to declare live plants or root cuttings at the point of checking in before boarding inter-island flights, right? And they have to pass inspection?

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 3:05PM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

The USDA has no interest in controlling the interisland transportation of plant materials based on my discussions with them. The state, however, is very interested in controlling this movement and requires inspection. They are concerned over plant materials and transportation of animals such as the frogs. The inspection point in Honolulu is at the airport but I have not found the location in Hilo.

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 12:10AM
littleme(11)

I have a lot of canna lily rhizomes, and I'm changing my landscaping. If anyone wants to come and dig out any, they can have ALL THEY CAN DIG for $5. These normally sell for $8 PER PLANT at Home Depot. My rhizomes are large and mature so you can get at least 2-3 more cannas per rhizome that you dig out. Click on the LINK, 'CANNAS IN MY GARDEN' (below) to see pics of my cannas. Email me at littleme_hi@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: CANNAS IN MY GARDEN

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 6:51AM
pono

I'll join. From my experience traveling between Maui and the Big I, there didn't seem to be much problem, at least small scale. I took plants in a five gallon bucket, opened it at the airport, and they gave a quick visual inspection and sent me on my way. They did not seem very concerned being that it was inter island. This was 4 -5 years ago so, maybe different now. Eco-terrorism you know. And though they have an office (at least on the bigger islands) for commercial transactions, I just took them to the ag inspector in the airport terminal (after check in and before you go to your gate) and did it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Page

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 7:01PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

so, did the inter-island trade forum get set up? It's been a couple of years... I'd be interested!
Lee, Big Island

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Garden Share & Swap on Kauai
HI fellow Kauai gardeners! I've been looking for some...
SustainableKauai
HAVE: Free Plants (Bare Root)
I have 2 young Blue Ginger plants, a rooted plumeria...
grovespirit
HAVE: Ilima seeds, 'PinCoushion Protea seeds and more...
Im looking for veggies or make me an offer. Thanks, Tiff...
hawaiianhoney
WANTED: looking for
looking for different bananas to grow,starting a collection have...
MissGardner
HAVE: Hawaii native and plynesian intro plant exc
I am propagating over 100 Hawaiian native and Polynesian...
johndp8888
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™