Egyptian Walking Onion

BlueMoonTooJanuary 29, 2005

Is there a source in Hawaii for Egyptian Walking Onions? Or anything similiar? Do you know of any seed catalogs that can send potatoes or onion sets to Hawaii?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Aloha Blue Moon,

Which island are you on? Those onions with the little onions growing from the top show up at plant sales on occasion. You could also look at Garden Exchange or Paradise Plants if you are near Hilo.

If you want potatoes, to to KTA or Foodland. Get the kind of potatoe you want and let it start sprouting. Cut it so each piece has an "eye" and then plant it. I like planting the little red ones in a five gallon bucket. When the potato vine dies back, just kick over the bucket and pick up the potatoes. Much easier than digging.

A hui hou,
Cathy

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 9:06PM
manyponies(11)

I have, in Waimea but I thought they were pregnant onions.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 2:03AM
BlueMoonToo

Hotzcatz:
I'm on Kaua'i. I asked around at the recent Garden Show at Kukui Grove but no-one had even heard of Egyptian Walking onions including the agriculture people! Everyone was interested and asked me to get back to them if I found a source!

Manyponies:
Would you consider trading me a "baby" or two. I have about 8 avocado trees from 12" to maybe 36" -- if you would like one or two or three, I could dig them up for you. They're from my "winter" avocado that just bloomed and has marble sized fruit on it already. We pigged out on guacamole all fall & winter long!

The plant we called a "Pregnant Onion" wasn't an onion at all. It's completely green; grows about 90% above the soil; has layers like an onion; the outer-most layer is papery like an onion; the babies start out as bumps under a green layer, gradually growing larger until the paper sloughs off after which the baby falls to the soil; has very long, thin leaves. P.O.s gradually get big -- it can take years -- to about baseball size. I had one for almost 8 years when it shot up a center stalk and bloomed; it bloomed every year after that.

They are really neat looking plants in a large pot surrounded by babies of varying sizes.

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 3:59PM
randg(11)

I was searching for Egyptian onions available in Hawaii, and I found this old thread. Do anyone have this plant in Oahu? It's an interesting plant to grow and versatile, too. The leaves and bulb are edible, and it's a perennial plant. It's called walking onion because small onions forms in the top of the leaves and when it is not harvested the weight will bend the leaf stalk, and when that happen small onion now has a chance to root on the ground--similar I think to the walking iris.

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 5:20PM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

Aloha,

I live on Oahu but get to the big island regularly. If interested in sharing, I could pick up a couple of sets at Waimea and share with the person on Oahu. I can be reached at johndp8888@aol.com.

John

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 8:47AM
BlueMoonToo

Aloha John,

My DH comes over to O`ahu every once in a while.

If I let you know the next time he's coming over, would you be willing to meet him and share a couple of sets of the walking onion?

TIA

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 2:03PM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

I am trying to reach the person in Waimea who has them but have not as yet been able to. I will let you know when I have them.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 2:40PM
BlueMoonToo

No rush!

I have no idea when Dick will be back on O'ahu. Thanks for answering and what a treat it will be to have these cuties again.

Mahalo, Liz

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 3:07PM
randg(11)

That would be awesome, John! But as bluemoontoo said, no rush!

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea grandis)
I have heard that Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea...
trivedi_south
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Sponsored Products
Alyssa Shower Curtain
$135.00 | FRONTGATE
Giotto Sateen Fitted Sheet
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Lucia Matelasse Pillow Sham
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Bombay Duvet Cover Set
$139.99 | zulily
Design Toscano Heavens Guardian Angel Garden Statue - KY1454
$276.27 | Hayneedle