Orange Brush Ginger

randg(11)January 12, 2009

Anyone here growing this plant? I acquired this plant at a plant sale recently. A married couple saw it first and bought most of the nice specimens--it was flowering and the flowers was very beautiful, deep orange flowers. They left two--one has no flower and other has flower but a bit ragged. One person beat me to it in getting the one that at least has flowers, so I was left with the last plant.

I was searching on Google for more information, but I couldn't find any. I think it's one of those ornamental ginger--the ginger that you couldn't eat, but what I have is a dwarf. I'll post picture soon. I want to propagate it, but even thought it doesn't have flowers, it still look nice and the mosses adds an aged quality to it. Anyone know about this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Hedychium Coccineum is known as orange "bottle" brush ginger. Google it. It's probably yours.

Steve

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 1:59PM
randg(11)

I forgotten to mention that the height of this plant is about or less than 12 inches. I also thought it was "bottle" brush ginger, but seeing the plant images compared to my plant seems very different. The Hedychium coccineum looks huge!

Also the form of the leaves compare to Hedychium coccineum does not look alike.

I love the mosses and the young Psilotum nudum or moa growing in the pot.

I decided to divide this plant into four or five segments. It's a bit root bound and will be planted in a new pot.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 4:51AM

H. Coccineum blooms at 4 to 6 feet so it's probably not your plant but I have seen many plants bloom short in a root bound pot. Do you have a photo of the bloom. That would help a lot.

Steve

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 8:33AM
randg(11)

I posted the picture at the Ginger forum and rayandgwenn identify it as Burbidgea schizocheila. The other common name include Golden Brush Ginger and Voodoo Flame Ginger (very interesting to name that plant that).

Thank you Steve for replying. I don't have pictures of the flowers, I was fortunate to buy this last plant because the other plants that have flowers were taken up very quickly.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 1:17PM

Randg,

I'm happy you got an ID on your ginger. Ray and Gwenn live in Puerto Rico and grow lots of tropicals; hence, they know about a lot of tropicals.

Steve

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 2:51PM
randg(11)

It finally flower couple months ago!

I didn't know at first that it has buds after I divided the plants almost to the same day I acquired the plant. Perhaps that is why all of the plants that I divided didn't bloom. Next year, I know now what to do and when they usually bloom.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 3:16AM
sandnsea(9)

This is what you have......Voodoo Flame Ginger-Burbidgea schizocheila

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™