Can you can tomato or spaghetti sauce using commercial tomatoes?

missemerald(7 (Virginia))March 31, 2011

I just have some questions-- every time I'm in Sam's I see these giant cans of tomatoes- crushed, whole, chopped, whatever. I was wondering, is it possible to use them in a recipe that is then canned (such as spaghetti sauce)? I know home grown is best and fresher... still, I wonder. Anyone ever tried this and how would you convert the ingredients? I was discussing this with a friend just recently and don't know the answer.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sure you "can" but it isn't recommended or encouraged.

The question comes up now and then and as a general guideline, re-canning any commercially canned product is not recommended. This is because they contain additives and stabilizers, because the double processing markedly reduces the flavor and quality, and it is a really inefficient use of your time and the energy used for processing given the end result.

Your choice, but it would be far better to buy the large cans, parcel them up and freeze them.

Dave

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 3:37PM
John__ShowMe__USA(5/6)

Wish I could grow enough tomatoes to satisfy my canning needs, but live in a woods & have a small container garden. Boo hoo!

Sam's is where I buy my commercially canned tomatoes to make canned salsas etc. I've tried everything they sell and really like the Contadina ones.

Check the ingredients list in the 2nd photo & you decide if want to take the risk.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 4:48PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Seems to me there are recipes using the precanned tomatoes in Small Batch Preserving. I would have to look later.
Typically, the NCHFP does not recommend using the precanned tomatoes in recipes for canning.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™