Border Hedge advice

West_Maui(11)January 10, 2005

Aloha,

I need advice on what to plant for a border hedge. Partial to full sun. I would like the hedge to be tall (10 feet or so) and dense, I am trying to screen out an ugly house next door!

Was considering a croton, but unsure of which variety I should use.

Any tips for a new member?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eieio96720(11 HI)

We had a gardenia hedge 125 feet long. It got to 7 feet tall before we cut it back. The only thing about gardenias is that they attract sooty mold (from white flies) and a scale pest. They will require periodic maintenance, but if you take care of them, they will reward you with blooms and people from 2 streets away will be able to smell their fragrance on a calm night. If you wash off the black thrips (who will eventually find the flowers), they make great give away flowers for the bank tellers and office.

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 1:03AM
GingerM(11-Hawaii)

Bamboo makes a good fast-growing screen. Our neighbor planted some about 2 years ago. It was probably 2-3' when she planted it, and it is now at least 30'. You can find different species that will grow to different heights, but check to see if it is clumping or running. The runners will take over pretty quickly from what I hear.

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 7:04AM
ilima

If you are still looking, a good dense to 10' tall hedge choice would be Mockorange "Murraya paniculata". It is a dark green solid hedge with highly fragrant white flowers.Knowing how small lots are here it's upright growth habit will take up less space. It also doesn't have much in the way of pest problems like hibiscus and Gardenia. Panax is another good choice for a linear dense hedge but can be a bit bare at the bottom as it matures.

ilima

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 2:31AM
kekoa(Z11 Kauai HI)

What about palms as a hedge. Clumping varieties make good screens.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 4:14PM
hulagal(z11HAWAII)

Arecca palms are awesome screens.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 5:57PM
Hanna_cybermesa_com

I live mauka, very wet. hedge will be in a dark place (very little sun) - any suggestions

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea grandis)
I have heard that Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea...
trivedi_south
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™