Kona Oranges

cactusrequiemJanuary 3, 2006

Hello, I just received a book on many types of Citrus and listed was a Kona Orange. I have many varieties already and I was looking to see if I could get anymore information and possibly a place to get some seeds. The book states they are rather seedy, so it should be easy to get. Anybody have any ideas, information or SEEDS? Thank You in advance!

Darren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

What else did they say about it? Other naming, background information? Your post is the only relevent hit that comes up.

If it is a vegetatively propagated named cultivar seeds won't do you any good, you'll have to buy a vegetative propagation such as a grafted plant.

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusrequiem

The information I have is this:
"The Kona orange is a Valencia introduced into Hawaii in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver. The ship's surgeon and naturalist, Archibald Menzies, raised the seedlings onboard and gave them to several Hawaiian chiefs. In Kailua-Kona, some of the original stocks still bear fruit. This sweet orange is tight-skinned, round, with a solid core. The Kona has a sweet acid balance of flavor reminiscent of pineapple. The juicy pulp is divided into ten to thirteen segments. It is a late maturing fruit, harvested from March to June."
I guess I should have waited to post this in the Spring. Please let me know if you come up with anything!
Thanks!
Darren

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™