allspice tree

lauriebee(7 MD)January 1, 2005

I made an impulse buy and got an allspice tree (Pimenta diocia -Myrtaceae I think). The leaves smelled so nice it called to me, "I am your Christmas present, I will make you feel glad all year."

Does any one know much about this tree? Especially how the roots behave. How big might it get - I have some altitude in Upper Makakilo, Oahu.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cyanea(z11 HI)

I live in Royal Kunia. They use this tree to line our streets. They plant um in that little space between the sidwalk and the Road. I have never noticed any major problems with roots.

THis tree was also used in the landscape at where I used to live. This place right by the Aloha Stadium. They were planted near peoples homes and near sidewalks. The only problem that i notice is that this tree produces blackish berries that look kinda messy when they fall on concrete or another manmade surface. It isn't a very large tree. I can't really give you a good idea on height but it usually doesnt reach the roof of a two stroy house. And can be trained and maintained to a desired size - these trees aren't fast growers.

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 4:57AM
More Discussions
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™