Avocado flowering

HawaiiFruitGrowerJanuary 25, 2013

Yes yes and yes!!!!!! While fertilizing my trees this afternoon I notices a growth that looked like flowers! Turns out it is flowers!!!!! In the photo it is kinda blurry though.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randg(11)

Oh yeah, it's almost Avocado season here in Hawaii, I just noticed earlier that the trees are flowering around here in Oahu.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:25PM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Ya here in Maui all the trees are flowering mango, avocado, lychee, etc. my flowers on my avocado are finally opening! Hopefully I get at least some fruit maybe even 1!!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:03PM
gtanaka

My avocado tree is just now starting to flower. Good thing though, because all last week the high winds have knocked off a lot of the avocado blossoms from other avocado trees that have already flowered.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:22PM
ferraraSr

Neighbor has his dwarf avocado flowering now, though just started. Looking for a dwarf avocado that will bear fruit in winter & spring rather than summer or fall. Any suggestions?

Fredin Kihei

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:50AM
HawaiiFruitGrower

FerraraSR: I don't know if any true dwarf Avocados I know on craiglist there was a man selling a dwarf holiday vari avocado upcountry I have never heared of this vari, I would plant a Ota or Fujikawa vari avocado I think they flower in the winter and are pretty good avocados you can keep them small by pruning 2 times a year and can keep the tree at a manageable height.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:59AM
HawaiiFruitGrower

FerraraSR: I don't know if any true dwarf Avocados I know on craiglist there was a man selling a dwarf holiday vari avocado upcountry I have never heared of this vari, I would plant a Ota or Fujikawa vari avocado I think they flower in the winter and are pretty good avocados you can keep them small by pruning 2 times a year and can keep the tree at a manageable height.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 1:00AM
ferraraSr

Thanks for the input, will try to find that variety. Went to kihana nursery & they said they were getting some dwarf avocados in but did not have a variety name or information on bearing time.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 1:57AM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Ya if their dwarf avos then there should be a variety, i would check the trees when they bring it in, check for a graft mark where the garfted on the scion to the rootstock you would see the callus and the wax tape on the stock of the tree. If not then dont buy, because avos produce fruit from 7-10 yrs from seed and in the end you dont even know what your getting, they could be just selling those trees as grafted dwarf avos when they could be seedlings.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:05AM
More Discussions
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™