Red Shield from seed

christie_sw_mo(Z6)February 3, 2005

If I start Red Shield from seed this spring, how big do you think it will it get this summer? The description said "fast growing" and gave the size as up to 5 foot but I thought that might be for areas where it is hardy and it won't be hardy here. I'm hoping it will get tall. Should I start it early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruggirl(8b)

It should reach its full height, but maybe not bloom in your climate. They bloom in the fall.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 8:06PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thanks bruggirl - I was hoping I'd get a few blooms but was mostly wanting the fast growing foliage. Maybe I should've asked if it's worth growing just for the leaves.

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 8:08AM
kiminaz

I have this plant and cut it way down to the ground because it was getting ratty looking. Will it come back? Its been 6 weeks now and it shows no sign of life.
Thanks!

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 3:05PM
hibsicus(Keithville,La.)

Hi,I also cut mine back every year,and they do come back.It will take a while,because they don't come back yet.I have some,and they are not getting any leaves on them yet.Just be patient.It is well worth it.The flowers are so pretty.
Margaret

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 8:31PM
njoynit(Z8b Coastal ~secluded)

I've got some started from seed to grow this year.do ya'll have in full sun or part sun?I'm south TX so my sun gets quiet hot.They are pretty even without the flowers.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 11:41AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I planted only eight of my seeds because I wanted to save some back just in case. I now have eight little sprouts. It only took a couple days for them to germinate and I was very happy to have 100%. Maybe these will flower for me since I started them early. Are there other hibiscus that you would grow just for the foliage as an annual? Or maybe I'm going to be disappointed with this one. Any comments?

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™