Advice for a gardening nut moving to Hawaii?

jeffdh(Z6 UT)February 21, 2004

Hi gang,

I've got a chance for a job in Honolulu. I'm excited because I'm a tropical plant nut. Any advice for a mainlander embarking on this kind of adventure?

Thanks for any and all advice!

-Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

Go for it and just enjoy it. Year round growth, year round bugs and year round slugs. Otherwise, what's not to like?

Bring pruning shears and buy Neem Oil for an environmental safe bug killer.

Phil

Bookmark   February 22, 2004 at 1:21AM
Deweydave(z11 HI)

I realize this posting is quite late. But for you and any others that have a passion for plants, I might venture toward native plant (and animal) conservation and preservation. There is a ton of stuff that can be researched, propagated & grown "successfully", photographed, etc. in Hawaii. We have numerous endangered species that need immediate attention.
Just ask and I'll point you in several directions. I have many connections here. Aloha a hui hou

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 1:51PM
honu(z11 HI)

hi deweydave, i'm asking.

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 6:20AM
GingerM(11-Hawaii)

Just keep in mind that things grow like crazy here. Prior to moving here, I gardened in Colorado, New Mexico, and Nebraska. I had no idea! I planted all these little plants in a flower bed in front of our front door, thinking that they would grow to nice little 3-4' bushes in a couple years, like they maybe would do on the mainland if I was very good to them. Ha! One of these suckers is now a tree that I have to keep pruning down to knee-high once it reaches about 8'! So, the moral of the story: Give your plants plenty of room to spread out.

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 6:55AM
Deweydave(z11 HI)

Honu,
Unless you have a botanical degree or something of the sort, you may want to volunteer for a while. Opportunities will open up and you will be in a good position to make a choice from there. You can try Waimea Valley Audubon Center, The Nature Conservancy, or a number of other Hawaiian native plant & animal concerned organizations here in Hawaii.
Also, look under the heading "Native Hawaiian Plant Lovers" on the GardenWeb. Posted on Feb. 4, 2005.
Aloha

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™