Experience with Hansa rose in Hawaii

GingerM(11-Hawaii)February 9, 2005

Aloha all!

I posted this on the rose forum, but I will post here too. I have 2 Hansa roses that have never bloomed. I have had them for a couple years. Up until about 3 months ago, they were still in their black nursery pots. They have been, and still are, in a southern location. They continue to put on new foliage, but not one single bud yet. Someone in the roses forum suggested that it might just be too warm here. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rfluddite(z9 LA)

Still in the nursery pot?? After several YEARS?!!! You brute!
Seriously, put 'em in the ground--6 hours of sun or more--great drainage--afternoon shade if you think too hot--good acidic soil w. lots of organics--fertilize--- lots of mulch to cool the roots---give them a chance! They grow and bloom ok here in New Orleans, zone 8B /9.
Or you could just smell all those plumerias!

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 12:30PM
Ron_B

The rose garden in Kapiolani Park (Honolulu), if it is still there, requires coddling to keep it going. And it's all/mostly hybrid teas. A hybrid Rugosa like 'Hansa' seems most unlikely to succeed, except, perhaps, at a high altitude.

My recently departed grandmother, who lived in Hawaii more than 98 years, used to remark on how lousy roses were there, relative to here on the mainland. Her handful of hybrid teas sure didn't seem to have the horsepower of those here. Likewise for those in the Park.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 7:34PM
GingerM(11-Hawaii)

Thanks for the responses. I have just seen the first new foliage coming on since I put them in the ground 5 (?) months ago, so hopefully they will take off and do well. They are definitely getting enough sun, in fact they might end up with too much by the time summer is in full swing. Maybe I can plant something taller next to them to shade them in the afternoons. I will let you know if I ever get a flower!

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 4:39AM
More Discussions
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
What is Exotic to Hawaii?
Are there any plants that would be considered exotic...
partybra
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Sponsored Products
Dogit GUMI Dental Toy - Flossing - 72910
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Barclay Products Bathtubs 5.58 ft. Cast Iron Slipper Bathtub Kit in White with
Home Depot
Marcy 40 lb. ECO Dumbbell Set and Case - ADS42
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Aquatic Bathtubs Belmont II 6 ft. Reversible Drain Whirlpool Bath Tub in
Home Depot
Plush Solid Abstract Shag Rug (7'7 X 10'5)
Overstock.com
Millbridge Satin Nickel Two-Light Wall Sconce
$37.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™