Hibiscus fertilizer for post-prune re-foliation

wood.viFebruary 20, 2014

I'm just learning about fertilizers. Previously, I just went to the nursery and used whatever they sold me.

My hibiscus was seriously overgrown, so I gave it a serious pruning. I have my doubts: I may have over-pruned. I'd like to fertilize it to encourage foliage this spring. So my first question is: how long after a serious prune, should one wait before fertilizing?

When I first moved in, it had a whitefly & city mold infestation. I went down to my local nursery and asked for help, and they sold me a 3-in-1 Rose Care treatment which helped a TON. Posts here suggest a 2-1-2 fertilizer for foliage, and that phosphorous (P) in general builds up and becomes harmful to hibiscus. I went through my fertilizer inventory, and nothing I have is 2-1-2, most of my fertilizers are high in phosphorous (P), so I figure I'll need to go back down to that local nursery and ask them for a 2-1-2 to feed my hibiscus. My fertilizer inventory turned up that the 3-in-1 Rose Care treatment has:
6% Nitrogen (N)
9% Available Phosphate (P2O5)
6% Soluble Potash (K2O)
2% Sulfur (S)
So, um, my second question is: have I been feeding my hibiscus a toxic 6-9-6 fertilizer these whole five years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Well this is my very first post here on garden web, hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes. I have about 2 dozen hibiscus growing in my garden and I have always relied on hidden valley hibiscus for their special blend fertilizer. I also supplement monthly with a foliar spray of that and their hibiscus booster. My blooms double and I get so much new growth I have to prune my hibiscus back mid season. Their fertilizer is heavy on the potassium because that's what hibiscus 'eat' the most of. It seems to work though because I get compliments all the time on my blooms. I attached a link to their website they also sell plants and stuff. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus fertilizer

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 11:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

And just to add, no you haven't been feeding your hibiscus a toxic fertilizer, just not the best combo for hibiscus IMHO.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™