Leaf yellowing and dropping

SweetSerenityFebruary 24, 2013

A well established hibiscus shrub had a massive leaf yellowing and dropping overnight, just two days ago. Before that it was fine. The ground is covered with leaves and more are falling, leaving yard long bare branches.
Does anyone know what might have happened?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gutzmek(6)

SweetSerenity,
A picture would speak volumes, but we may be able to figure this out either way. The major contributors to hibiscus health (and probably all plants) are environment, moisture, insects, disease and nutrients.
The first 3 are easier to deduce than the last. Have you noticed any environmental changes in the past few days? Over cast, temp swings, excessive rain or lack of? Next I would look closely for any infestations. Look under the leaves as most hide in this location. Diseases can be a little trickier. If a plant appears droopy or wilted even with adequate water, the roots are diseased an unable to extract fluids or nutrients. Lastly, nutrients usually do not cause dramatic leaf loss. Personally, I would look at the environmental side. If you had excessive rain...drainage might be an issue.
Hopefully this helps.
Ed

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:21PM
SweetSerenity

Thank you Ed. The temp keeps changing here in Florida this time of year. Cold, hot, cold, hot, masses of rain, windy and dry. It's like that all the time and I can't really narrow it down to one specific event.
Maybe it's the last couple of weeks temp changes that got to it. We had night temperatures ranging from 35 to 60 so maybe that's what got to it?
Luckily it's the perfect time to trim it back so that was good timing.
I did look for infestations but there is none. I guess the weather is to blame.
Thanks again Ed.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:41PM
Gutzmek(6)

SweetSerenity,
I think you found your answer. I would wait until the temps stabilize above 50 before you prune. After a month you will see good new growth. I am an extreme encourager of pruning. To me it is a no-brainer. Tropical hibiscus like it, and it increases blooming areas.
Ed

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Help with an OLD hibiscus tree
This tree was planted long before we bought the house....
Crenda SWFL 10A
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Project time
finally decided to pull the trigger and build a little...
merkity
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™