Basil & Dill Help

Rod707(9)April 24, 2011

I'm about to plant this year's basil & dill and have a few questions after my crops of each the past 2 years had a few problems, which I want to avoid this year.

Basil -- when I plant my seedlings, they start out a deep green, but after a while, the leaves turn light green and stay that way. I haven't fed them in the past (didn't think herbs needed feeding). They keep producing, but the leaves usually look a bit on the thin side and they never get that deep rich green.

Dill -- 3 years ago, I planted dill in a terra cotta pot and it did just fine. The following year, I replanted in the same pot and all was good for about a week, then the plant started to yellow and a week later it had shriveled and died. Last year, the same thing happened with two different plantings. The pot is located adjacent to the lawn and gets plenty of water from the daily overspray when the sprinklers go off. I'm wondering if that's giving them too much water (though they did fine there 3 years ago). This year, I plan to put seeds in the pot, but I'm going to move it about 3-4 feet away and just water it periodically with the hose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opal52(z7b GA)

Basil needs feeding. Especially if you are growing it in containers. When I plant the seedlings, I add slow release fertilizer (I use Osmocote), and in addition I water with diluted water soluble fertilizer every couple of weeks. Others may have different experiences with fertilizers but I can say it works for me because I have big crops of deep green basil every year.

I saw an episode on growing herbs on Victory Garden several years ago, where they pointed out it was a common misconception that herbs do not need to be fertilized.

You could try an experiment and feed your basil in one pot and not the other. The difference should show up pretty quickly.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 9:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rod707(9)

Opal52 -- thanks for the suggestion. I thought about feeding it last year, but didn't, as I thought it wasn't necessary. So this year, I'll take your suggestion and fertilize my basil. Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Can you please name this herb (Qatar)
It smells more like Mint, but it looks like a Basil, I...
maufie123
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Sponsored Products
Illume Water Lily Starlight Tin Candle
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bronze Table Lamp with Spa Shad
Home Depot
Tranquility Floral Arrangement
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Breakfast Gift Set - N/A
$165.00 | Horchow
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Promise Basil Brown Rug (2'3 x 8')
Overstock.com
'Parsley' Herb Garden Stake Set
$6.99 | zulily
Materia Candle Tin in Geranium Basil
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™