Newbie- where to purchase?

quicksilver(z6bMA)February 4, 2011

Hi all! I am in S.E. Massachusetts. I am really keen on huge red or purple blooms of hibiscus. I need hardy plants as I am in zone 6; where do you recommend I make my purchase? I'm not afraid of dealing with online vendors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Voodoomagic

What type of Hibiscus are you looking for Hardy Hibiscus or Tropical ( hybrid hibiscus)

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 3:15PM
quicksilver(z6bMA)

Hardy plants for southeastern Massachusetts, which is generally considered to be zone 6b. I am looking for varieties with huge blooms.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 11:28PM
princealbert(Aransas Pass TX)

quicksilver,
Welcome to the forum. I can't help because I live in texas. Just wanted to say welcome
pa

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 4:48PM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

Hardy hibiscus are very common at most landscape centers. Since they are so prolific I'm sure you can get several offers for free seedlings from members here for nothing more than a SASE. I pull out and compost thousands every spring/summer.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 11:32PM
quicksilver(z6bMA)

!!!!!!My ears just popped up in attention!!!!!!
I guess I'm not really educated as to the distinctions of the different varieties of hardy hibiscus. A few years ago in a neighboring town I noticed plants in front of a home 2'- 3' tall with 5" blooms. I inquired and was told that they were hardy hibiscus. The hardy hibiscus that is sold up here in stores like Lowes and HD are at least 4' tall and sell for $15-$25 per plant. I am under the impression that malva is another name for hibiscus? Anyway- I would certainly enjoy the opportunity of the SSAE thing. I could also exchange canna president or wyoming(?).

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
Can I plant perennial hibiscuses in NY (zone 6)?
I am wondering if I can plant perennial hibiscuses...
quilttrack47
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™