Bugs and Hibiscus

flowerthyme(NW)March 12, 2007

I can't seem to get rid of aphids on my hibiscus. I do put them out in the summer, but I have to bring them in in the winter. I've been reading about the systemic insecticide for indoor hibiscus, does it work on aphids? And would it hurt the hummingbirds in the summer and other insects that feed on necter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_bonzo

Neem oil maybe? I use it for citrus, never heard of it being used on anything else though. Research it before you use it.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 4:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

See my post on systemics on the thread below. The Bayer procucts with imidacloprid should work on aphids (check the label to be sure). Neem oil also works, but you have to respray at frequent intervals, which is impractical indoors for me in the winter. If you catch the aphids early enough, they are usually clustered around a couple of flower buds - if you pinch off the buds and throw them away in a covered trash can outside, you can often stop the problem right there, especially if you follow up with a neem spray.

I don't know the effect on hummers, etc. that drink the nectar of either one of these products.

Here is a link that might be useful: systemics

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™