Is it true that glass canning jars can be frozen?

lucillleMarch 27, 2014

I was searching information about freezing cooked beans and saw an article from a person who says she fully cooks her beans with seasoning and then freezes them in canning jars.
I'm not sure I've ever frozen food in something that is glass, it doesn't break?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes you can but you need to leave extra inch or so of headspace so as the food expands inside it doesn't break the jar. I recommend only loosely capping the jar until the food is frozen and then you can tighten the cap.

I will add that they take up more room in the freezer than either regular freezer cartons or plastic bags.

Dave

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 4:49PM
myfamilysfarm

Only certain jars are recommended for freezing. Usually wide mouth or jars that don't have a 'neck'. Wide mouth pints and regular mouth 1/2 pints or 1/4 pints. I wouldn't recommend wide mouth qts without caution.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 5:27PM
lucillle

I think I personally will just use plastic bags because of the space consideration that Dave mentioned.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:01PM
pqtex

I use glass canning jars in the freezer on a regular basis. The straight-sided ones are the best, but I have used the ones that aren't straight and I have used wide mouth quarts, as well. Over several decades, I've had only two jars break but I accidentally bumped them together in the freezer after they were frozen. They do take up more space, and you do need to leave room for expansion, as Dave said. I store some things in plastic, but prefer glass and think they maintain food quality better. Plastic can lose a seal or get torn. I don't have a food saver, so my freezer ziplocks aren't as good as the food saver bags.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 10:19AM
CA Kate

I make my own stock and always freeze it in glass jars of different sizes so I can grab only the amount I will need. I prefer wide-mouth straight-sided jars too. As recommended before: always leave plenty of headroom and the caps unscrewed until frozen.

For vegetables, I always freeze in ziplock-type bags. After they are frozen flat I stand the bags upright - like books - in a shoe box, that way they are easy to get to and are less likely to get damaged.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 1:56PM
myfamilysfarm

My freezer will hold the 25# tomato boxes without a lid, plus I have hundreds. I have/can put about a months worth of food in one box. I stack them in the deep freezer, or slide them on the shelves for the upright. Just another use for them. I use tomato boxes for LOTS of things. Good thing I have so many of them.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Current Botulism cases
The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that...
Linda_Lou
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™