Daylily Grab bag on Thursday

opnjmprsJuly 10, 2014

I think this could be peak bloom here. An odd growing season this year, with some plants not blooming at all, and the bud counts are down considerably on others.

Vertical Horizon was blooming today.

Sailing At Dawn

Entwined In The Vine putting on a show

A Blue Hippo Seedling

Johnny Cash seedling

Pink Lemonade Party seedling

Red Friday seedling

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edward_Kimball

Vertical Horizon looks nice. I picked it up this year. I hope it does as well here.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 7:41PM
Laura twixanddud(5b MI)

Vertical Horizon is beautiful, and all of your seedlings are too!

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:08PM
jkayd_il5

Very pretty. I like Sailing at Dawn. I think I may be at peak too. My daylilies are all doing very good this year. Last year we were in a drought and they didn't look good at all. I am really enjoying them this year.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:11PM
njmomma(z6 NJ)

Wow! Johnny Cash seedling is gorgeous! Gimmee gimmee! :)

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:30PM
organic_kitten(8)

Your seedlings are very pretty, and I like Entwined in the vie best of the others.
kay

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:39PM
maximus7116(MI)

I like your seedlings best of the group. Nice job!

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:41PM
mantis__oh

Lots of nice seedlings, especially the Blue Hippo one. And yes, the Vertical Horizon looks very good.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 9:42PM
opnjmprs

Just re-checked my seedling map and #5 isn't a Johnny Cash seedling, It's out of a Linda Beck cross (actually makes more sense).

Edward, I do hope Vertical Horizon does well for you. I have some interesting seedlings from it, and it's handled our western PA winters very well without mulch protection.

Thanks to everyone who checked out my pics!

Linda

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 9:47PM
growgirl(z5MI)

Love that Red Friday seedling.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 10:02PM
Nancy zone 6

Your seedlings are really nice, I'm particularly attracted to the Pink Lemonade one. I haven't had any interesting seedlings this year, most didn't bloom at all. Some of last years seedlings improved, but several of them didn't bloom.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 10:36PM
nat4b(4)

You have really pretty seedlings! Especially like Blue Hippo and Pink Lemonade Party kids.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 11:51PM
Julia NY(6)

Seedlings look good. BLUE HIPPO seedling has a nice edge on it.

Julia

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:12AM
Maryl zone 7a

Pink Lemonade Party seedling gets my vote.....Maryl

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 3:29PM
shive(6b TN)

I love the Pink Lemonade seedling! Great pink color and nicely ruffled edge! Entwined In the Vine and Vertical Horizon are looking good too!

Debra

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 4:14PM
deangreen(7b OK)

like the colors in the first pic. but my vote goes to the pink lemonade flower, so bright. nice job!

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 7:33AM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

I love the PINK LEMONADE seedling. and the johnny cash seedling, too, they are all very pretty blooms.

jean

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 12:35PM
bragu_DSM 5

Johnny Cash seedling ought to be named Liberace.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:24PM
sophies(5MA)

I really like the Johnny Cash and Pink Lemonade seedlings but they are all lovely.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:38PM
quiltnhen

Those are all gorgeous! I loved day lilies at my other house, but here the deer love them too :-(
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:42PM
oldbat2be

New to the daylily forum so forgive the ignorance. Would someone please explain to me the references to 'seedlings'? What is the (visual) difference between the daylily plant and the seedlings?

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:37AM
Pat(6b northern VA)

You have some really pretty seedlings. Are you thinking any of them are good enough plants that you will register and introduce them? Which ones?

I like your Pink Lemonade and Red Friday seedlings best. I tried to use Red Friday both ways at least a dozen times this season and I don't think anything took with either pod or pollen.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:57AM
opnjmprs

oldbat2be.....there is no visual difference between daylily plants and seedlings. Seedlings are generally younger daylily plants that may or may not be registered. The seedlings I've posted here are over 3 years old (mostly from my own crosses), and are still being evaluated for registration. Seedlings can change a lot over a 3 year period (some for the better and some for the worse). Some will be eliminated due to poor bud count, scape too low, or buds too close together, etc. Pretty flowers are easier to get IMO than good plant habit. I have some I keep to use in my crosses that don't have the prettiest bloom, but have the ability to put a decent scape on plants they are crossed with. Example below.

This China Clipper seedling just started blooming yesterday. It has a pretty unremarkable flower, but I'm keeping it because of the scape. I will try to cross it with other registered cultivars or my select seedlings and see if I can get a prettier face on this one and keep that nice scape.

Below is a pic of the scape which is very sturdy, and averages 31.5" tall, 21 buds, and lots of branching.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:41PM
opnjmprs

daylilly99....Right now I have several Red Friday seedlings, 2 Pink Lemonade Party seedling, 2 Lillian's Alabama Sunrise seedling, and 1 Carol Todd seedling that I will likely register. I have yet to post pics of a few of those. The Lillian's Alabama Sunrise kids are HUGE....40" scapes, with blooms averaging around 6.5 - 7", 15-16 buds. I have no trouble spotting them as I look out across the seedling beds.

Red Friday has been a frustration for me as well....very poor pod parent, but when it does manage to set a pod for you, be sure you start those seeds. I've got some very nice seedlings from Red Friday. Funny story here is that in passing RF I pollinated it with something and was so sure it wouldn't take that I didn't bother to tag the cross. Right now it's got two small pods on it, but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen it start pods before and then abort them within a weeks time.

This post was edited by opnjmprs on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 17:59

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:06PM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Linda those are beautiful seedlings, and the Pink Lemonade one is soooo pretty. And Vertical Horizon is nice.

Rena' :-)

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
Daylily Order.
I finally got to place an order for some new DLs. They...
Billi
Pink Daylily questions
I was given a bunch of the orange daylilies (last year)...
srks72
Lambert daylilies
would love to see pics of John Lambert daylilies ....
signet_gw
photo of cool blue daylily
Does anyone have a picture of Petit's Cool Blue daylily...
pink_petals
Aphids on daylilies
What do you do about aphids on your daylilies? I don't...
ruthz
Sponsored Products
Signature Flame Pendant Small - Daylily Glass with Nickel Hardware
$441.00 | Bellacor
Live 'Fragrant Returns' Daylily - Set of Five
$19.99 | zulily
Reblooming Border Daylilies Mixed Root - Set of Three
$12.99 | zulily
'Day Lily' Extra-large 5-panel Handmade Metal Wall Art
Overstock.com
Daylily Bouquet Satin Flag
$14.99 | zulily