Sickly mountain apple tree

lauralizcMarch 6, 2008

I have a mountain apple tree in my yard that was looking very sickly. It looked like something was eating the leaves (lots of holes) and the leaves were brown and curly around the edges. We moved in to this house mid-summer and the tree never bore any fruit (I think mountain apple trees bear fruit in the late summer, but I could be wrong).

About a week ago, however, I noticed the mountain apple tree dropping lots of leaves and new, healthy looking leaves popping out. Now the tree looks pretty good! Is this shedding normal for a mountain apple tree?

Also, any tips on getting the tree to bear fruit? Do I need to fertilize or water? We live in lower Manoa and get a decent amount of rain but maybe not enough.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randg(11)

By the way, how was your Mt. apple tree? How tall is your tree? I ask this question because I planted one in my backyard few weeks ago. I hope that my tree grows here in Waipahu.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 1:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicolai

Stressed trees become more susceptable to pests.

If the holes were in a lacey pattern, it sounds like chinese rose beatles. Not a huge deal unless they are an urgant threat to the trees life/health. I wouldn't worry. Try bying two five dollar compost bags and spreading them around the base of the tree. It should help improve its health and vigor but not emediately. Never hurts, always helps. Especially if the tree don't have decaying organic matter nearby.

If you post pics, we might be of better help. Also, take one of the ground around it.

What parts of the tree are affected? lower leaves? Highest leaves/branches? Whole thing?describe any yellowing.

My guesses:
Water stress- tree wilts temperarily & defoliation near top. Remaining leaves could experience tip necrosis.

Potassium (K) deficiency- lowest leaves experience yellowing at tips progressing to necrosis. Easily corrected unless underlying soil problems are involved.

Overfertilized- e.g. too much Nitrogen can burn leaf tips and harm plant temporarily.

Hard to say. Need pictures.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
What is Exotic to Hawaii?
Are there any plants that would be considered exotic...
partybra
What's discoloring these surinam cherry leaves?
I noticed some of the leaves of a surinam cherry plant...
acorn922
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Manuka Pendant Light
YLighting
Malibu Path & Landscape Lights LED Solar 54 Lumen Spotlight 8506-2612-01
$49.97 | Home Depot
Set of Six Silver Mini Antique Ornaments
$22.00 | FRONTGATE
Olevole Tree Trunk 19" High LED Indoor - Outdoor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Cascade Mountain Brown Sticks One-Light Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Amber M
$360.95 | Bellacor
Vintage Shed Bird House
Signature Hardware
36-inch Multi-color LED Fiber Optic Tree
Overstock.com
Go Pet Club Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Pet Dog Grooming Table with Arm - GT-201
$92.02 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™