New to this forum..I'm from Hypertufa..need advise

hawaii50mom(11Hawaii)March 12, 2004

Hello All, I have a dog kennel/runner that I really want to cover with vines..to hide my shed in the background (and my ugly dog house..heheh) But the plants I have there now I am just not happy with...not to mention I am not a gardener ...at all!!! Home Depo loves me, I buy plants by the dozen , cause I have a hard time keeping them alive:) Went through 3 nite blooming Jasmines, and now this one too is not looking good!!

Any how here is my site that shows the kennel...need to know what I can put that will be full and green? That way it will give my little ones shade when there in there.

Thanks

Carole hawaii50mom

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog kennel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

Thunbergia. Fast, full and lots of flowers.

Let me know if you would like more.
Phil

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 2:33AM
hawaii50mom(11Hawaii)

Thanks Konaphil:)

Is it the same as the blackeyed susan vine? I was looking into that vine, also my hubby say's the other one is a pest plant? (whatever that means) but does not want me growing it becouse he say's it will get out of hand?.... So, Other options? :)
Thank you so much:)
Carole ..hawaii50mom

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 3:29AM
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

One variety of thunbergia is called blackeyed susan vine. By pest i assume he means it is aggressive, spreads a lot and is hard to control. It is aggressive. In the situation you show in your picture, it should be easy to control. It can't grow anywhere but up and over the top. There is nothing for side shoots to attach to, so would be easy to keep pruned.

Blue Jade and red jade vine is similar, but much slower and easier to control and has striking blooms. The blooms make outstanding lei's.

Passion Fruit; but, that is more aggressive than thunbergia.

Pothos (Epiprumnum pinnatum) is a basic. Leaves will grow to 18" long or more. They are green and white or all green. Very neat by itself, or could be mixed with other vines.

Some of the Philodendron's.

Jasmine, but you would have to keep winding it through the fence.

Tomato.

Check these out and let me know.
Good luck.
Phil

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™