Nasty Vine

msulli2472June 25, 2007

I have this nasty vine that is growing in my yard and I would like to find a way to get rid of it as it seems to be able to kill whatever it invades.

This vine grows very quickly. I can pull off handfulls of the vine with no apparent ill effects to the vine. As it matures, the base, or the part closest to the ground, becomes woody. It is almost impossible to pull this vine out of the ground without breaking the stem of the vine. When I have dug the vine up there are a number of small brown nodules attached to the root system. These nodules are about the size of a grape.

Can anyone identify this vine? I have heard that it might be called a stink vine but I am not sure. Is there a way to kill the vine without killing the plant it is growing on? Digging this vine up one at a time would be next to impossible. I have a ligustrum hedge that has this vine growing throughout. The hedge is about five feet tall. I was thinking about spraying the base of the ligustrum where the vines begin to attach themselves to the plant with Round Up. I would hope that this would kill the vines but not the ligustrum.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AmberSky(9b FL)

If it's stink vine, brush-b-gone is the only thing I've found that helps. Don't worry about soaking it at the base, the leaves are what you want to go for, it's taken up by foliage.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 3:17PM
msulli2472

Thanks.

If I spray leaves of the vine I would also be spraying the leaves of the ligustrum. Would brush-b-gone also kill the ligustrum?

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 3:29PM
AmberSky(9b FL)

I don't know. But if you don't, the skunk vine will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of pics of the nasty thing

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 5:18PM
tannatonk23

Could it be greenbriar? It's in the smilax family. Nasty stuff with wicked thorns at the base. I have it popping up all over. I try to dig it up when I can but it's in some thick azalea shrubs and I can't seem to find the source. Good luck getting rid of it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 5:55PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Maybe it is Virginia Creeper. That stuff loves to take over and kill nice azaeleas. And it sure does get woody at the ground. It will grow up the wall of your house in a week. Link to Google Images below.
-Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Creeper Image Search on Google

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™