dwarf papaya trees

maioloMarch 18, 2004

does anyone know if there's such a variety for a dwarf papaya tree? (i'd like to be able to identify these when i go to a nursery). by this, i mean i saw a house in a subdivision in kihei w/ lots of these trees growing in front of their yard. the trees were about 3ft tall w/ big of fruit already. unfortunately, i can't remember which subdivision anymore so i have no way of asking the owner.

also, any recommendation of "dwarf" edible fruit trees i can plant in my tiny backyard in kihei, hi?

thank you for reading.

-rhoda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

"Carica papaya" from "Aloha Seed and Herb" on Hana highway, Maui. Phone (888) 768-9474. Found it on Tropicals forum.

Bookmark   March 19, 2004 at 12:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siegel2

Rhonda,

Here`s Aloha Seed and Herb`s website. They have several dwarf types that start to fruit at "70 cm" or about 2 1/2 feet. I think what this means is that the fruit on the trunk is 70 cm off the ground, but the highest leaf coming out of the top of the trunk is higher maybe about four or five feet from the ground. This is for the FIRST fruit. The plant will continue to grow taller and taller as it produces more fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha seed and herb

Bookmark   March 19, 2004 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
WANTED: newbie
Aloha, I'm a newbie. I'm starting an herb and veggie...
krwhit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™