when to send them outside?

Elizabeth WhiteMarch 20, 2007

My hibiscuses are always so much happier outside that I want to get them out as soon as possible. But, then again, I don't want to slow their growth or damage them with chilly temps. I can put them outside in a warm spot next to the house and put them in a unheated but totally enclosed shed at night. What would the safest temps be? Obviously I don't gain anything by rushing them too much. What's ideal? Maybe it's smarter to just fertilize more now and get them revved up for spring? They're in a west-facing sliding glass door right now.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

At a minimum, you want to avoid any frost or freezing temperatures. I play it fairly cautious and bring mine out in early May. But I have a lot of them (about 13), and some of them are quite large and heavy, so they won't get put somewhere else every night, and I don't want to have to drag them all into the house if frost threatens.

They start the spring on a covered east-facing porch, gradually moving down towards the sunny end, then onto the deck for more sun, then out into the yard. It takes several weeks for the whole progression. This is to make sure I don't sunburn the leaves.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 9:25PM
flaxss

i have mine inside in winter in 50F so when its 50-59 in shade i take them out . i have all of mine outside now . and if its get lower then 41F i cover them and if its gets lower then 32F i take them inside . and then i take them inside when it gets 41F in the shade . this past november they even got snow on there flowers and light frost but it dint hurt them

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 6:03PM
Elizabeth White

Thanks! I think mine are ready for the great outdoors--at least, I am!

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 8:54PM
butterfly4u

I put my tropical out after Mothers Day in May every year.
Never had a problem with it.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Hibiscus in Spanish
Can anyone tell me what the Spanish name is for a hibiscus...
jardinerafloridana
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™