Hibiscus and cold

flowerthyme(NW)March 20, 2007

What is the lowest temperature tropical Hibiscus can tolerate? (They are in pots)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

They can be fairly happy down to 45 or 40 degrees F. You can even leave them outside to lower temps assuming there won't be a frost or freeze but I don't recommend it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 10:53PM
flaxss

lowest in pot 32F in ground just light light frost .

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 5:58PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

.... and so what happens, please, when we hit an unusual 25 degrees? My Rose of Sharon (second year) was about 2 and a half feet tall - I never pruned it and it was looking absolutely beautiful UNTIL we hit a record low of 25 last night. It was covered, but not enough because the leaves were all wilted and really damaged. Do I cut it back? Give up on it? Thanks - (really confused about hibiscus)

Carrie

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 9:19PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Rose of Sharon is hardy way below 25 degrees, we grow them here where it gets down to zero occasionally. If it was an established plant already, it should put out some new leaves and be fine. I would wait until you're sure it's warmed up for good, then prune off just the damaged parts.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 11:37AM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Great - I got the Rose of Sharon brand new last year, but no tag (it was discounted)... and just the other day it was all leafed out and looking beautiful - now all the leaves are wilted and awful looking. Will they just drop off and form new ones? If that's what happens, that will be good news. I am just learning about these shrubs.

Thanks

Carrie

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 11:13PM
microfarmer_grower

My hibiscuses freeze to the ground every winter like a preannual. They then pop out of the ground every spring. They are the last of my plants to do so.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
baby herd a little over 3 months
Here is my little seedling herd a little over 3 months...
merkity
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
New Hibiscus Society in SoCal
Hi All, We have started a new hibiscus group: The Southern...
holywoodpalms
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™