Texas Star Hibiscus - Help!

hoover67(7a)March 27, 2005

DH bought me two of the beautiful plants at a local home improvement store. He picked them because of the beautiful flowers and because they were supposedly hardy for this area (thus the 1 yr guarantee). Anyway, I am a little suspicious! Are they hardy in zone 7a? They look dead still. Was I supposed to cut them back to the ground? Any help or advise as to how to care for them would be really appreciated. Do you think they are dead? When should they leaf out?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

Yes, they are hardy where you are. They do die back in the winter, but come back from the roots. They won't show signs of life for a while yet, so just be patient.
It doesn't matter if you cut them back since last years' growth is now dead.
They are worth it, I ahve several and love them.
Barb

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 8:18PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I grow the Texas Star in Oklahoma City (7a), and it gets about 10-12 feet tall! It's gorgeous and the hummingbirds and butterflies love it!

It is late to show new growth from the roots, as are most hibiscus. They are summer bloomers and love the heat, so they really aren't quite ready to get going yet. I also grow H. moscheutos 'Fantasia', and 'Kopper King'. They are smaller plants. Fantasia has maple-shaped leaves like the Texas Star; Kopper King is bronzy maple-leaf foliage with pale pink blooms with a red center. They are both gorgoues and get huge blooms.

SusanLynne

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 9:39PM
hoover67(7a)

Great. I will go out today and cut them back. I must admit though that I love the look of last years dead growth. Adds a nice element to the garden. I also have another hibiscus. I need to find out what type it is! Thank you so much for all of your help. Do they need to be heavily mulched over winter? I did not mulch them very well.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 7:44AM
wqcustom(z7b NC)

I see you're in zone 7. I too am in 7b. Mine start poking up from the ground in April, so it won't be long. Hang in there! Mine were over 7 ft. tall last year.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 1:04AM
hoover67(7a)

Great! I am looking forward to seeing it come up. I found the name of the other hibiscus. It is the Kopper King. Hopefully it will come back also!

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 9:49AM
wqcustom(z7b NC)

yep, copper king's a beauty and will be back too!

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 4:13AM
stacette(7b)

Just be patient my Texas just sent a shoot up that is about an inch tall within the last couple of days.

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 12:33PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Yeah! Mine did, too. I really need to cut back the old stalks now. The stalks are big enough that I have to use a saw.

SusanLynne

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 8:57PM
hoover67(7a)

Geee! I wish it was not dark. Should I go get a flashlight to check to see if there is any new growth? I check the beans and the corn everyday. I guess I will have to add the Hibiscus to my list! LOL!

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 9:04PM
hoover67(7a)

Yea!!! The two Texas Star hibiscus have shoots. Still nothing from the Kopper King though. I guess I still have to be patient!

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 9:05AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

H67 - my Kopper King has still not shown any sign of growth, nor has 'Fantasia' - just be patient. I'm sure you will get growth soon. The Texas Star is always earlier than my others. Last year, we had more rain than we normally get and I lost several branches on the Texas Star, and ALL the branches on 'Fantasia'. I thought it had been killed. Not so.....it came back and flourished despite too much water. I'm convinced these things can take a lot of abuse.

SusanLynne

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 9:09PM
hoover67(7a)

Great!. I will have to look for Fantasia. I have not see one of these locally. I fell in love with the hibiscus last year. I have three Rose of Sharon but the Texas star out-shines them.

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 10:28AM
Sharon_0

I also have lots of Texas Star. I was checking out another site recently and saw a pic of a white one. Also was told by the guy I buy supplies from that the white might be on the market soon. Has anyone seen one, or know of a source to get seeds?

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 11:01PM
gloria_j(z8tx)

Sharon, i have a couple of white texas star seeds that i can send you for sase.. i do have seedlings but they are too small to send ..gloria_j

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 11:29AM
mofliss(Dallas, TX)

i got 2 texas stars and they're probably my favorite plants in the garden. I didn't cut mine back until February or so and they started coming up again around the end of march. One of them is almost 5 feet tall now.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 12:00PM
gmargan_hotmail_com

I just got a small Texas Star Hibiscus plant. I live in zone 9. Should I plant it in full sun or partial sun? Could it live in a large container or does it have to be in the ground?

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 3:53PM
princealbert(Aransas Pass TX)

Gina,
all my hibs except 3 are in pots. The dirt where I live is very poor and they have a hard time in the ground.
My texas stars seem to take full sun pretty good.

Sharon O,
I have had the white tx star for 2 years now.

Susanlynne,
What does the copper king Hib look like? Is it a hardy or tropical?
pa

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 8:11PM
leew52

I need help with my white Texas star. Yesterday all of a sudden all leaves started droping watered and it hasn't recovered. Think I am loosing it. Any ideas of what I can do?
Lee

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:41PM
wally_1936(8b)

leew52 sounds like it needs to be in the ground.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 5:06PM
jperilloux(8b LA)

hoover67, Texas Stars are nice, but many Rose of Sharon varieties can hold their own against 'em.

Texas Star (Scarlet Hibiscus)

Rose of Sharon (Minerva)

Rose of Sharon (Diana)

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 10:08AM
wally_1936(8b)

Those who grow Texas Star Hibiscus should have lots of seeds each year as even one bloom about 30 seeds and they sure do start easy. Here I start them anytime of the year and end up with too many seeds each time. I have never had any white Star Hibiscus to produce or someone send the wrong seeds. but I do enjoy the Red blooms. I also enjoy the rose-of-Sharon blooms which are hardier the the Florida-Louisiana-Texas Star Hibiscus. I say that because they are native to Florida and Louisiana but ended up being called Texas Star Hibiscus.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 12:13PM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

I just found this post and want to ask if I should cut my Texas star back ? its in a 1 gal pot and about 10inches tall, will I have to bring it in for the winter or leave the pot and all out side for the winter? this is the first time I've ever had a hibiscus and just not sure what to do with it.
Thanks for any help
Bear

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 9:58PM
wally_1936(8b)

I would not cut them back until they die back unless you are trying to get more starts from your cutting.

Paul

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™