Rose of Sharon (Year 2)

lamconMarch 27, 2007

Hi there. Late last summer, I planted a 2 foot tall rose of sharon in our front yard. It stayed nice, for the most part. But it never really grew. Now our trees are starting to bud, but I'm not seeing any life out of our hibiscus yet. Any advice? Is it still too early or did I do something wrong? Also, if it does grow, what should the growth rate be? I've tried googling these, but haven't had much luck. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Mine is just now starting to come back here in zone 10. Just starting to see a few green buds coming off the very bottom of the old stem. So I think you should give it a little more time. When I lived in a zone 4b it took till the middle of May sometimes for it to start coming back. Don't give up yet :)
~SJN

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 2:14PM
lamcon

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it some more time. Do you have any idea how much growth I should see in our ROS?

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 9:58AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

It should get quite a bit larger this year and have lots of blooms if it is in enough sunlight. It is a perennial so as the saying goes, 'the first year they sleep, 2nd yr they creep, 3rd yr they leap' etc...
You can also try scratching the bark down low on the stem to see if you get green bark underneath- not that is the only determinant but if you see green it definitely is still alive. Sometimes the roots are alive (firm, white)and the stem is totally dead though- but it might make you feel better to see the green lol. I know I always do as I am impatient :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
New Hibiscus Society in SoCal
Hi All, We have started a new hibiscus group: The Southern...
holywoodpalms
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™