grammatophyllum

JoeV(h2)April 20, 2006

We recently purhcased a scriptum variety and it has just passed its blooming cycle. It has 4 large pseudobulbs and is filling about 3/4 of a standard black deep nursery 8 inch pot. We are on the ocean and have everything from shade to almost full sun. I can find lots of info about conditions but not much on potting needs. My temptation is to put up into a much larger (16") wooden half-barrel using lava rock and putting it where it gets max water. Or should I leave it alone in its current pot until the roots start coming out of the pot?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

I do not raise this particular orchid but this web site indicates that a rich cimbidium media is about right for this orchid.

http://www.speciesorchids.com/GRAMMATOPHYLLUMELEGANS.html

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Love4Gardening(11 HI)

I have this variety however mine is not as large as yours. My experience with almost all my orchids are that they bloom more frequently when they are a little tight in the pot. This type although the leaves are more soft and pliable can grow in full sun. I have mine in a bark mix in full sun. I think lava rock would be fine as a growing medium as well. I think if you pot it up in too large of a pot, the plant tends to put a lot of it's energy into filling the pot with more root growth which can delay blooming. Hope this helps a little. Aloha

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™