pot sizes?

Elizabeth WhiteMarch 24, 2007

I have three tropical hibiscuses that live inside during the winter and outside during summer. I've noticed that all three probably need repotting--there are roots coming out the drainage holes. So my question is, given that I'm going to have to haul these guys in and out each year and, probably most significantly, find space for them inside!, how large a pot will I end up needing!?

If I need to stay with one final size for reasons of space, is there anything I should do to compensate?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

You can keep them to whatever size you find convenient, within reason.

Unpot and shake the excess soil out of the rootball. You may find that there was a lot of empty space in the middle of the roots and you can just put new soil in and reuse the same pot. If the pot is actually full of roots, go up a size (2" larger in diameter than what you were using before).

When the pot gets to the maximum size you want to lug around, you can rootprune annually to rejuvenate the plant and keep it suited to its pot (do a search for rootprune on gardenweb for help if you need it). Some varieties are easy to root for cuttings, so you can also start baby plants to eventually replace your big monster.

I have some varieties (mostly fancy hybrids) that seem happy in a 10 to 12" pot for many years. Others are huge (single red flowered garden varieties like 'President') and want much larger pots.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 11:33PM
Elizabeth White

Thanks! Great advice--just what I needed!

I can never remember how the pot sizes are measured. Is that diameter?

Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 10:54AM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

You're welcome. The sizes given are the diameter across the top.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
help with hibiscus
My hibiscus blooms all winter inside. When I take...
marthavm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™