Source for identifying my Hibiscuses (Hibiscii?)

alys_esmond(9b Orlando)March 18, 2011

Hey folks!

We went on a shopping spree at Lowe's a few weekends ago and came home with 5, $5.00 Hibiscus plants. Once we'd planted them, I noticed that they all had very different leaves and we were pleasantly surprised at the 5 completely different and beautiful flowers they each produce. I was even more surprised that none are the same as the one I already had, so online I went and learned just how many different species of Hibiscus there are.

Now I want to identify them all. Can you suggest a source or resource that is easy to use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

Are you sure you have 5 different species? I'm thinking you might have 5 different cultivars of hibiscus since there are very few hibiscus species blooming this time of year.
If you have tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis), which I think you probably do, a great resource is the International Hibiscus Society's hibiscus cultivar register.
Here's the link.
They are addictive, aren't they? I have so many, my husband built me a greenhouse to overwinter them in!
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Internationa Hibiscus Society hibiscus registar

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Epsom Salt or Vinegar to help Blooms
Which one is better suited to encourage blooming?
bradley787
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™