growing grass on cinder

mermaidajmMay 29, 2007

Aloha,

We just moved to Kaumana City in Hilo. We've lived in a condo and never had a yard. The house we bought didnt have a finished yard and all we have is cinder/rocks. Is it possible to plant grass on top of it? I noticed centipede seed bags from Walmart was wondering if that would work? I am clueless in gardening and need advice.

Mahalo,

Mermaidajm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leilaniguy

Centipede grass is probably the most common type you'll see in east Hawaii, I have it, and all my neighbors, grows well in cinder. Broadcast the seed, cover with a sprinkling of peat moss. There is a grass called seashore paspalum that is smooth and velvety, seldom ever needs mowing, but is slow to establish and I believe only available as plugs, not seed.

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 7:23PM
mermaidajm

Thanks Leilaniguy! I would like to check out seashore paspalum? Where can I find this in Hilo?

I have another question. My front yard has the same cinder but I noticed that it has this black plastic underneath. Can I plant grass on top of it or should i remove the plastic covering underneath first? Mahalo for your help.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 6:06PM
leilaniguy

I recall there is a lot of it at Richardson Beach Park on Kalanianiole St. and I know it grows along the Red Rd. out at Opihikao. You might check at Garden exchange or Farmers exchange for starts. I don't know about growing over the plastic, sounds like it might be a hassle to remove.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 7:55PM
mermaidajm

Mahalo for the information. I will go and check out those places. Removing the plastic under the gravel in a big front yard is a big problem. I was hoping I could just leave it.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Geiger tree
Hi there, I recently came across a small geiger tree...
dazed77
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™