A gift of meat

girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)March 11, 2011

A friend of my husband's is sending some venison and homemade venison sausage to us which has been in a freezer for about one month. (they hunted it themselves).

My concern is mainly the sausage--what would be the risks of some kind of food poisoning from homemade sausage? does having been in a freezer for a month change anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonas302(central mn 4)

Possibly but probably not.. the meat itself unless they have used extremely poor butchering methods will be deemed safe by cooking though
Sausage or any ground meat can pose more of a risk but if your friends are still alive it is probably all good for example smoking meat at low temps without adding cure can foster botulism

As with any homemade gift you be the judge of course you don't know the people that handle your meat in the store..

Time in a freezer will reduce the chance of trichina in wild game and pork that will be consumed under cooked such as in dried sausage

A good marinade can take the gamey flavor out of game and make it taste incredible

Here is a link that might be useful: venison cooking tips and recipes

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 9:53PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I agree that the safety all depends on their butchering and processing techniques.

Personally, as a hunter and venison sausage maker, I accept such gifts to avoid hurt feelings. But I don't use their sausages as I have seen some really poor techniques used by a couple of friends that are from the "I haven't died yet" school of sausage preservation. Any of the meat that can be fully cooked before eating is no problem.

Dave

Dave

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 11:14AM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Do your friends do their own butchering, or do they pay a custom butcher to do it? I wouldn't have any problem at all with any sausage that came out of any custom butcher in my area.

I can't think of any reason why sausage would be any more dangerous than any other ground meat. Just cook it well, just like you'd do with burger.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 1:54AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I can think of several people who hunt and process their own meat whose gift I would happily accept. And others where I wouldn't touch it :)

With the meat, you will just about know by the quality how it has been handled, and of course you would be cooking it.

The sausage is a little different. I have a friend who makes the best pork kielbasa in the world - that is a product that is then cooked to serve. We have elk and venison made into kielbasa at an inspected (and respected) facility and don't do our own, but we have a summer type sausage made too and that one isn't cooked again before eating, just sliced and served.

I'd want to know something of the habits of the friends, know what kind of room or kitchen, what kind of handling the sausage has experienced.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™