Second attempt at 'Freedom' Rose of Sharon - Advice?

zaphod42April 28, 2011

Hello. Last year I had a 'Freedom' Rose of Sharon that I purchased through a nursery as part of a design plan. It did well early on, but we got heavy rains and some flooding in part of yard. After which, the plant promptly died. I've received a replacement as part of the warranty. I don't want to plant in the same location for fear of the same thing happening. Any hints or suggestions for planting and positioning in my zone? Can I plant in part sun? What if its only afternoon sun? My full sun options are limited due to the areas of water retention. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehearty(So ME z5a)

Let's see ... I have 3 Lucy ROS and 1 Blue Satin. don't know how they compare as far as growing conditions to Freedom. I assume they are similar.

The BS is in full, all day sun. It flowers but doesn't grow terribly tall (maybe 5 feet?). I've pushed the zone on that one.

Of my 3 Lucys, 1 faces east & gets morning sun until about 1:30 pm. It's going gangbusters & blooms like mad.

One faces south gets full - dappled sun most of the day (trees nearby). It's so massive that I just took 4 feet off the top, and it's still over 8 ft. Blooms like crazy.

The third guy was just a stick when I got him, so I didn't think he'd survive. I shoved him in the backyard behind the garage facing west. It doesn't get a lot of direct sun because of the trees, but it's sure to get a few hours of the hottest sun of the day. That's not growing as fast as the 2nd one, but it's still quite tall none-the-less with lots of blooms.

I don't fertilize any of them. Does that help?

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
Searching for Hibiscus Bloom Holder
I'm looking for a glass tabletop "vase" designed...
mspam
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Main stem brittle, dark brown and withered but the Roots are ...
Hi. So my the stems of my hibiscus have all withered,...
sammyyummy
Sponsored Products
Modern Led Bathroom 5 Lights Vanity Light Wall Sconces
ParrotUncle
Quarry Breeze Damp Location Ceiling Fan Light Kit
$58.50 | Bellacor
Colorful Projector Lamp Small Night Light for Indoor
ParrotUncle
Serena & Lily Chunky Linen Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Blue Vroom! Sandwich Cutter Set
$7.99 | zulily