jewish pickes

stakeMarch 20, 2011

All:

I am looking for a recipe for Jewish pickles...not the 'kosher dills'...a real jewish pickle.

I think these pickles are mostly regional to Philly and NYC and maybe Baltimore...

They aren't the ones found in the grocery stores, but the old fashioned corner deli. They used to be found in five gallon buckets. They are the bomb and if anyone has instructions, Id be grateful.

regards

TE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Jewish pickles can cover a lot of different possibilities.

Do you mean half-sours? Any description of the pickle is helpful.

Carol

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:56PM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Have you googled Jewish Pickles. It's worth doing just to read the articles even if you don't find your particular pickle.......I bet that you will though.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:57PM
kayskats

google Attman's Deli, Lombard Street, Baltimore, Md print map and directions ... get in the car ... etc.....

Linda Ziedrich's Lower East Side Full Sour Dills (The Joy of Pickling)come pretty close for a small batch. But NOTHING touches the ones made by the barrel. And believe me I've tried for years ....

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 4:15PM
stake

Kayskats:

Followed your instructions, this looks close (at least the picture) http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/2/Food/american_jewish_cooking/kosher-dill-pickles.shtml

Probably will give this a 'try'. And since I have friends in Baltimore, I may send them on a road trip. And yes those barrel pickles are the pickle by which all are judged (lol) To all, Thanks for the feedback.

regards
TE I

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 5:33PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Whether you're using Ziedrich's recipe or another fermented pickle, be sure to use the freshest pickling cucumbers and pickling salt as directed.

Carol

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™