Planting Windbreaks.

angrymoonMay 31, 2010

I've been frustrated lately about the 20-30 mph winds at my house. A couple weeks ago, we had gusts that were about 60 mph, and it literally sucked the moisture out of all of my plants. I need plant suggestions for a natural windbreak, and something that will grow fast in a couple months.

My dad hasn't been too big of help because he doesn't like certain types of plants and thinks a six-foot-tall fence is going to help. Plus, he wants something that is low maintenance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiagarden

My house is super windy as well. Everything dries up like crazy!! it really helps to lay mulch around. I get it from the neighborhood gardens

look here: http://www.hacdhawaii.org/districts/oahuwindbreaks.pdf good luck ! :>

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 2:44AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Would Bougainvillea be an option? Acacia? Kunzia? Olearia? Melaleuca? Metrosideros - if you're right by the sea? Banksia? Cordyline, so long as it doesn't drop leaves Everywhere?

If you plant in a double row then it helps to break the wind and turbulence better. I'd go for shrubs and even grasses rather than trees. They don't fall so far in a high wind. :-)))

PS beware of anything that 'grows quickly'. It's usually a nightmare waiting to happen.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 7:37AM
mauirose(11)

How much space do you have? How much maintenance are you willing to do?

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 12:15PM
jamesg(konahawaii)

Where do you live? How much rain do you get? 2 of the best are pigeon peas (short term) to be followed by madre de cacao Other permanent windbreak plants I can suggest; however, it depends on your rainfall/elevation. Let us know.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™