What is this?? (Rosemary Q)

kmyhr(7)April 17, 2013

I've had this rosemary a little over a year now. It spent last summer outside and has been happily residing indoors all winter, but last month I moved it and noticed this small pile of ?? on the dish underneath the plant. Looks like worm castings maybe? Is this good/bad/normal?? I've never seen this before and don't see any signs of any other bugs around the plant.
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Wow, "Blue WIllow" for a plant saucer. Your plants have the life! ;)

Worms or something else living in the bottom of the pot near the drainage hole would be my guess. If the plant doesn't seem to mind, I wouldn't bother with it.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Looks like worm castings to me but I'd suggest that you evict (rehome) them. Earthworms are great in the garden but in the confines of a container.....not so much. They turn your potting mix into worm poop, which doesn't have the right consistency to maintain a highly porous structure required for healthy container grown plants.

If you do repot your plant, you could take the opportunity to do some root pruning before potting up in fresh potting medium. Try to get rid of as much of the old soil as possible. Do you know what earthworm eggs look like?

J also suggest you use a piece of window screen to cover the drainage holes. Worms ( or millipedes, sow or pill bugs, slugs) won't be able to get inside.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™