Avocado seeds

mrlynn(z7 GA)June 27, 2012

I am interested in growing some avocado seeds from varieties other than Hass. I live in Georgia and the only seeds we can get are Hass. If anybody knows of how I might obtain some seeds that could be shipped to me I would glad to pay the shipping charges. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Avocados don't grow true from seed, so you don't really know what you'll get. You need to get a grafted tree (or a branch of the kind you want and graft it yourself).

FYI, it takes 5-7 years or more to get from seed to fruit, so it'll be a while before you know if you like it.

Also, I know we can't ship avocados from Hawaii to the mainland, not sure about pits. (Rules are made by the USDA, you could try a google search to be sure)

You might want to try a forum like Fruit and Orchards http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit/ or one in your state to find local resources.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 3:08PM
Oshie

Hi steiconi,

Any good places around east Big Island to get fruit trees?

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 5:45PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Plant It Hawaii specializes in fruit trees and has sales to the public in May and November (otherwise wholesale only).

Also, farmers markets (Makuu in HPP is my favorite), and Craigslist are good sources.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™