Costco kitty litter jugs - looking for empties

raygrogan(Iowa and Hawaii)June 18, 2014

Thanks - I use the cat litter jugs to make pots for taro. If you have empties I would be glad to re-cycle them for you. Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toucan(9)

I'd like to see what the taro looks like in these pots.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 2:47AM
raygrogan(Iowa and Hawaii)

Thanks Toucan - here is a real nice one (they don't all look this good). Usually I grow them up in small pots first, going bigger and bigger about every 2 months. Then they go to the big green jugs, and into water, for the final 4-6 months. I harvest the leaf (for luau), and also get a half-sized corm. Ray

Here is a link that might be useful: A few more pix of how to grow taro.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 1:20PM
toucan(9)

Thanks for posting this and all your experiments. What do you think was the best?

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 3:06PM

My favorite methods - "bucket lo'i" (putting a flower pot plant under water in a bucket) is number 1. It is very productive and does not need much attention. I can grow all of my favorite tasty varieties this way.

In Hawaii number 2 would be "bunch". I can only grow 2 good varieties (MP and KK) with it as the rest of them tend to get rot after a few harvests. (In the bunch method you yank out whole plants, and the ones left behind have open wounds that are not treated.) The bunch method is the easiest labor-wise, almost all you do is pull and eat.

In Iowa number 2 would be the garden covered with carpet, esp with the sprouted satoimo that are in the markets about now. Almost instant easy crop in 2 months.

The earthboxes are new, and a little work to set up, but they seem pretty useful, too.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 10:29PM
toucan(9)

Is "Bun-long" the variety of leaf that is the greens inside lau lau (the eating part, not the wrap). I've been looking for those greens to grow. The recipe just says luau leaves.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 3:37AM

Yes, most likely. About 90% of the taro leaf grown is bun long. (The only other commercial one I know of is KK by the guys up in Kahuku.) And ditto 90% of the corms you see for sale in grocery stores or Chinatown are bun long. If you see a corm that looks like it would grow they can be planted whole, growing point up, all covered with loose soil. Just light watering until it starts showing leaves, which will take a month or more. The picture is a cut open bun long to show the purple fibers on a white background, very distinct, so the corms are easy to recognize. Good luck growing, it is a fun garden plant.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™