Tuberose blooms when?

Love4Gardening(11 HI)June 21, 2006

I have a couple of tuberose tubers that I planted last year sometime. I have it in a 3 gal. pot, in full sun. It has since only grown foliage and I was wondering what's the time of year when these bloom. Any help would be appreciated?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paupor(11)

I love the fragrance of tuberose, and thought I'd grow them myself, rather than spending money every week at the Farmer's Market. The bulbs I bought at the garden center were stored in a refrigerator, and I think maybe it's because the bulb needs to go dormant before it will flower. Those bulbs bloomed the first time I planted them, but have produced only foliage since. I'm strictly an amatuer gardener, and that's my theory for now. I live on the Big Island at about 100 feet above sea level, and I don't think it ever gets cold enough to trigger dormancy in the tuberose. From info I've gotten about the tubers, you should have flowers 4 to 6 months after the tuber comes out of its dormancy. I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me store some bulbs in the refrigerator for a couple months to test my theory, but so far refrigerator real estate is occupied by edible food. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
What is Exotic to Hawaii?
Are there any plants that would be considered exotic...
partybra
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™