Living Fence or Privacy fence

Bonfire99June 14, 2011

Hi, I share a wall with Kam highway, which is noisy and busy with cars and foot traffic. My wall is only 3 feet high so there is no privacy whatsoever. I'd like to plant a fast growing thick shrub that won't spread into the yard too much. Basically I want something at least 10 feet tall that I can keep a foot or two thick that will line the wall which is about 30 feet in length. Bamboo is out because of the mess that it creates. The area gets full sun all day and the soil is rich Mililani dirt. I want to be able to look out the window and see vegetation, not people and cars. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sashahawaii

If you are worried about security, you could try bougainvillea. That is a pain to trim though. Hibiscus and tiare are nice, full bushes with pretty flowers but I don't think they get up to 10 feet. The community garden in Pearl City has a large display of croatans, I seem to remember them being thick and tall, and I know that area gets intense heat. Panax are popular for creating a fence, but I'm not a fan of the look. If you are willing to build a trellis/support system you could grow a vine thru it like lilikoi or stephanotus. Those are my suggestions, but I like lots of color.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:57PM
Bonfire99

Thank you, I'll take a look at the community garden in Pearl City.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:26PM
greglee

Perhaps a variegated Hao? We have two, and they grow to a very dense thicket, maybe 20 feet high, or so. But you can keep them trimmed into a tree shape, if you want. We also have a Buddha-belly bamboo which is a bit of a monster, but it has gotten big and thick -- a good barrier.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 10:34PM
bertyinoue

Put up some pipes with chicken wire and plant passion fruit they get about 3 ft. thick and any length you want, fast growing and produce good fruits I have one and my wife makes passion fruit pies, cookies, cakes, and drinks most of all they are easy to take care off they trim easy

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™