Vegetable Gardening without Nematodes

ediblelandscapeJune 3, 2012

I had vegetable gardens in Makawao for years, and now in Nanakuli. I only realized recently my problems with getting beans, peas, peppers, eggplants, strawberries, and tomatoes to thrive was due to nematodes. My wife bought a garden tomato in a rather large pot and it produced beautiful tomatoes while mine planted out produced a few and then went into decline. Since then I have planted everything subject to nematodes in pots, and they are all thriving now too! So if you're just getting your plants up and they start to wilt and dieback, try containers to see if that helps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randg(11)

Also a good idea is while those vegetables are planted in containers, plant the ground that is infected with nematodes with plants that deters it such as Chrysanthemum or mums, and marigolds.

"Chrysanthemums, particularly the C. coccineum or "painted daisy" species, kill harmful root nematodes in the soil." according to a site.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 2:51AM
thereddirtgarden

ediblelandscape: I googled nematodes to see what they were because I haven't had problems with them in Wahiawa, but like the chrysanthemum post above, I read that marigolds may also be effective in killing nematodes. Maybe plant some of them near your tomatoes and other plants in the ground and see how they do.

I tried this with my melon plants, and used rosemary to fend off leaf miner bugs, and that seemed to work. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marigold Information

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 9:47PM
Evenpoet100

Thats why its important to revive your soil . with the beneficial fungus your mycorrhizae the good spores the fight the nematodes

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Geiger tree
Hi there, I recently came across a small geiger tree...
dazed77
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
What is Exotic to Hawaii?
Are there any plants that would be considered exotic...
partybra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™