Hawaiin Plant Q

diamondmJune 15, 2007

Whats the deal with bringing plants back to the mainland from Hawaii? Can you bring cuttings only? Is it best to ship plants? Can I bring small plants back in my carry on luggage?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawaii50(z10 HI)

All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Restrictions on the movement of fruits, plants, live snails, and other items from Hawaii to the Mainland are enforced to prevent the spread of fruit flies and other hazardous plant insects and diseases.

Plants may be purchased at certified nurseries, which seal and stamp packages containing the plants so the plants pass the inpsection at the airport. There are lots of certified orchid nurseries. Or you may have the plants mailed to your home for convenience. In addition, some stores, particularly those in tourist areas such as ABC Stores, carry plant material (such as small orchid plants, small ginger plants, ti leaf "logs", plumeria cuttings) packaged in plastic bags that have been certified and would pass the agricultural inspection at the airport.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 7:37PM
buzzy(8PugetSound)

How about the other way around? Is there any restriction on mail order plants TO Hawaii? Or seeds?

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 4:49AM
jscu

Mail order to Hawaii...

Call the Dept of Ag first and ask them if the plant you are considering is an invasive. If it is an allowed plant there should be as few leaves as possible and no soil. The sender must label it with the name of the plant and a label that states "may be opened for Ag inspection". This info was given to me by the Dept of Ag here on Maui.
Please do find out if it is considered invasive first!

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Sponsored Products
Green Herb & Garden Snips
$9.99 | zulily
Hanging Orb
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Gun Metal Check Metal 14-inch Planter (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Hardy Island MR11 Spotlight by Hinkley Lighting
$87.78 | Lumens
Five-foot Sweet Bay Ball Topiary Silk Tree
Overstock.com
Slamp | Cactus Small Table Lamp
$275.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™