Dwarf Magnolia?

Love4Gardening(11 HI)July 24, 2005

Hi Everyone-

Does anyone have a well established Magnolia here in Hawaii. I see one tree when I drive through Nuuanu to go downtown, however I was curious to know if anyone else had one and how fast does it grow? I bought one almost a year ago and it's now maybe two feet high. It hasn't grown a whole lot and I was wondering what other peoples experiences with it were. I know it isn't a native hawaiian plant, but I adore the flowers and I do live here in Hawaii and wonder if there's anyone out there who can give me any info? Mahalo, Love4Gardening

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cyanea(z11 HI)

I really don't know what the problem is. But we bought a 2 foot tall 3 gal Dwarf Magnolia in 2002. It seems that It might take a while to become established. Our plant is almost six feet tall now. We notice that most of its growth occurs during the spring. I'm guessing that since it's used to more temperate regions it doesn't grow year-round. Our plant flowers quite profusely now i can count about 6 flower buds (thats the most we've seen so far).

We live in Kunia on O'ahu and our soil is red dirt clay. Maybe the Magnolia just needs a little more time before it starts growing more quickly.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 3:07AM
Ron_B

Magnolia grandiflora is fairly common there but looks like it may tend to be a little slower and more shrublike (although still becoming a tree) in the tropical environment than elsewhere. Up here easily found M. grandiflora 'Little Gem' is sold as a dwarf selection, perhaps somebody there has brought that in and it is your Dwarf Magnolia. It has smaller parts, grows bushy for some years, gradually becomes a columnar tree.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 12:56PM
Love4Gardening(11 HI)

Thanks for the replies, I'm guessing that it just needs to get a little more established like Cyanea said. I'll admit that I am being a little impatient. When I bought the plant it had two buds on it. When I bought it home, I was in awe of the beautiful flowers that opened in the next couple of days. I can't wait till it blooms again. I'm guessing it'll be a while though :-( Well thanks again for the info and reassurance that I am being just a little impatient..lol..

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 3:41AM
Love4Gardening(11 HI)

Hey just as I was posting my previous post, my magnolia plant started forming a couple of buds. At first I'd thought it was just going to be another set of leaves, but to my surprise they were buds. I have some photos here hope you guys enjoy. Thanks for all the feedback and info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look What's Bloomin!

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Sponsored Products
Sole Designs Brooke Tufted Diamond Storage Bench
Overstock.com
Red Cedar Magnolia Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Autumn Mix Wreath
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Magnolia Outdoor Sconce
$330.00 | Horchow
Huppe | MAGNOLIA Chair, Set of 2
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Southern Magnolia Light Blue 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Round Bronze and Gold Soap Dispenser -44
TheBathOutlet
Vig Furniture - Contemporary Entertainment Center SMA STEP 30 -...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™