Another gift of meat question

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)March 25, 2011

I didn't want to hijack the current gift of meat thread, so thought I'd start my own. My husband was given 10 lbs. of anteloupe last night. A friend hunted it, but the packaging looks very professional, so I'm assuming a butcher/meat packer processed it. From a safety standpoint, I feel comfortable with what has been given to us.

My question is how in the world do I use this meat. I'm guessing it will be fairly lean? Honestly, I didn't even realize we had anteloupe that close to where I live, and I have never eaten one before. Is it similar to venison? I don't really care for the gamey taste of venison, but I've had elk that I thought was pretty good.

We were given both ground meat, and steaks, and even a little bit of sausage, I believe. DH plans to make some of it into jerky, but any suggestions or recipes for the rest?

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Lucky you. Nobody I know with antelope will give any away.

The antelope is less gamy than venison. Yes, it is very lean, so be careful not to over-cook. It's a different taste than elk, but still very good.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 3:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kriswrite(zone 8)

Any venison/elk recipe should do. The steaks you can cook like any other steak, although you'll probably want to add a little extra fat (like a pat of butter). You can use the ground meat pretty much like ground beef, adding a little fat into the recipe. You can also can the ground meat.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Canning lard
After much research I read that pure, rendered lard...
lana_lang
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™